Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Classes Must Go On!

Observation time: 2:00 pm

Precipitation: None
Sky conditions: Clear
Wind: 9 mph from the West
Temperature: -3 degrees

A webcam from near my apartment shows today's mostly clear skies
Today's Rant

Cold weather be damned! School must go on. At least that's what UWEC told its students this morning around 6 am, while the wind chills hung dangerously low around -40. Given the extreme cold, the local technical college and most of the surrounding school districts cancelled classes today and tomorrow already. The University of Minnesota and University of Wisconsin-Madison were also closed or partially closed. All in all, I was not too upset as I have access to a bus route less than a block from my home, but I did feel bad for those who aren't as lucky. The National Weather Service had our area in a Wind Chill Warning that stated frostbite could occur in as little as 5 minutes. Many of my classmates have much longer walks than that...All of this aligns with my predictions from yesterday. We have clear skies and brutally cold temperatures again.

Forecast for Tomorrow

The wind forecast for tomorrow calls for winds between 10 and 20 mph from the South/Southwest, so I expect slightly warmer temperatures, as well as some clouds. If it gets warm enough, we should even see some snow, which is the only thing I like about this cold season...

No comments:

Post a Comment